At the risk of this becoming a very geeky blog (not too much of a risk seeing as I'm the only person who reads it anyway), I was just thinking about John Frame's obsession with seeing everything through his 'three perspectives' (which generally I think is very insightful, although he does take it to extremes)...
Imagine John Frame slipping on the soap in his bathroom and falling over. I suspect he would analyse the incident in this fashion:
'One way of looking at things is to say that the incident was caused by the laws of friction and gravity - the soap has a low coefficient of friction and therefore naturally didn't provide grip for my unsuspecting foot, whereas gravity acted on my unsupported body mass to bring it down to the ground. This corresponds to the normative perspective.
On the other hand, the slip came about because someone left soap on the bathroom floor (because we live in a fallen world) where my foot was placed down. This clearly represents the situational perspective.
And finally, it was my foot which I chose to place down upon the floor, which was a personal choice, and I saw the ground coming up to meet me as a part of the way I experience the world, from my own perspective - the existential perspective.'
Well I found it funny.
Thursday, 22 May 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you are not "the only person" ;-)
Post a Comment